Careful acoustic design and the use of advanced materials contribute to the exceptional music fidelity and speech intelligibility exhibited by the EAW Commercial SMS5 (black) and SMS5W (white) two-way speaker systems.
The shielded low-frequency driver’s carbon fiber diaphragm remains extremely rigid at high power levels, producing a linear response and low distortion. The cone is fitted with a durable foam surround and treated to resist moisture. The high-frequency section features a 110º x 110º constant directivity horn with a built-in mechanical phase equalizer. The horn is driven by a Ferrofluid® cooled, 0.75″ soft dome tweeter.
The system is nominally crossed over at 3.0 kHz by a 12 dB/octave network, which uses markedly lower (than conventional) inductance values in series with the woofer. This design reduces sound delays associated with high inductance values and provides excellent low frequency transient response. The high-pass section is corrected for optimum performance of the CD horn and is protected with a circuit based on a low-value/low-mass filament resistor that smoothly limits the power sent to the tweeter driver.
All components are housed in a vented enclosure formed from semi-expanded polystyrene foam that is extremely strong, lightweight and weather resistant. Threaded metal sockets are molded into the cabinet to facilitate quick, safe deployment of the SMS5, as a single unit or in arrays, using specially designed accessory mounting hardware.
The SMS5 is a part of EAW Commercial’s SMS Series Surface Mount Speakers, which includes two-way constant directivity, compact speakers in easily installed enclosures.
- Six year warranty.
- 5 inch high-efficiency carbon fiber woofer
- 110º x 110º constant directivity horn with Ferrofluid® cooled, 0.75 inch soft dome tweeter
- Built-in low inductance passive crossover
- Lightweight, UV/weather resistant, high density polystyrene, trapezoidal shaped enclosure for multiple applications and minimum visual intrusion
- Integrated mounting points for use with optional mounting hardware
- Articulated wall-mount support bracket included