Softube Braids by Mutable Instruments
Braids, by French Eurorack pioneers Mutable Instruments, is not an oscillator. It sort of looks like one, with fine and coarse pitch/frequency controls, a v/oct input, and voltage-controllable tone/timbre controls. It even sort of sounds like one, in as far as it outputs audio.
Mutable Instruments call it a macro oscillator, but even that is an understatement. It’s a hugely sophisticated digital synthesis engine, able to produce and manipulate complex sounds—classic waves from vintage synths, bells, resonant filters, plucked and bowed strings, vocals and vowel/formant sounds, wind instruments, percussion, noise, granular clouds and more—by means of 45 or so fully-realized algorithms, featuring multiple oscillators, wavetables, filters, VCAs, ring modulators, and so on under the hood.
- Macro oscillator featuring 40+ fully-realized digital synthesis algorithms
- Produce millions of different sounds easily—classic waves and telecoms babble, bells and whistles, percussion and ambiance
- Just two controls morph through the sweet spots of each algorithm
- Great for triggered percussion
- Awesome for crazy complex waveform synthesis
- Phenomenal for glitchy out-of-control modulated sounds
- Incredibly deep, but easy to use
- It’s like a library of the greatest synth sounds of all time
- Requires Softtube's Modular VST